We have been focusing on perception technologies using an intelligent vehicle, a network sensing system or a collaboration of them. Our research goals are developing 1) an intelligent vehicle of omni-directional eyes monitoring both static and dynamic objects at the vicinity when it cruises around a large dynamic environment, generating a map with dynamic and semantic knowledge of the scene, and conducting human-like decision-making or maneuver; and 2) a network sensing system that monitoring the dynamic objects in a cluttered environment using laser and vision, and analyzing their behaviors. These researches have been motivated by the applications for improving driving safety, surveillance, traffic data collection for management and services, etc.. The research can be broadly divided in three topics: 1) Monitoring a dynamic environment through fusion of laser and vision; 2) Intelligent vehicle perception and driving behavior analysis; 3) POSS-m: Dynamic mapping through vehicle-borne multi-modal sensing.
- Zhao,H., Sha,J., Zhao,Y., Cui,J., Zha,H., Shibasaki,R., Detection and Tracking of Moving Objects at Intersections using a Network of Laser Scanners, IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation System, vol. 13, no.2, 655-670, 2012. (pdf)
- Song,X., Zhao,H., Cui,J., Shao,X., Shibasaki,R., Zha,H., An Online System for Multiple Interacting Targets Tracking: Fusion of Laser and Vision, Tracking and Learning, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology. (to appear)
- Zhao, H., Cui, J., Zha, H., Katabira, K., Shao, X., Shibasaki, R., Sensing an intersection using a network of laser scanners and video cameras, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, vol.1, no.2, 31-37, 2009. (pdf)
- Zhao,H., Chiba,M., Shibasaki,R., Shao,X., Cui, J., Zha,H., A laser scanner based approach towards driving safety and traffic data collection, IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation System, vol.10, no.3, 534-546, 2009. (pdf)
- Zhao,H., Wang,C., Yao,W., Davoine,F., Cui,J., Zha,H., Omni-directional detection and tracking of on-road vehicles using multiple horizontal laser scanners, IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 57-62, 2012. (pdf)
- Yao,W., Zhao,H., Davoine,F., Zha,H., Learning Lane Change Trajectories From On-road Driving Data, IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 885-890, 2012. (pdf)
- Zhao,H., Xiong,L., Liu,Y., Zhu,X., Zhao,Y., Zha,H., Intelligent Vehicles Vision Technology: Sensor Alignment Towards an Omni-directional Measurement Using an Intelligent Vehicle, Robert A. Meyers (ed.), Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, Springer, 2012
- Zhao,H., Liu,Y., Zhu,X., Zhao,Y., Zha,H., Scene Understanding in a Large Dynamic Environment through a Laser-Based Sensing, IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 127-133 , 2010.
- Zhao,Y., He, M., Zhao,H., Davoine,F., Zha,H., Computing Object-based Saliency in Urban Scenes using Laser Sensing, IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 4436-4443, 2012.